Art 101: My Life As An Artist
Yeeeee-haw! Sandra Boynton goes Country! With three Gold Record albums and a Grammy nomination to her credit, Boynton now brings you “Frog Trouble,” a terrific CD and illustrated songbook of her new and wildly original Country songs.
And they’re sung by a truly amazing roster of Country Music’s biggest and brightest stars: There’s Brad Paisley with “Copycat,” Dwight Yoakam singing “I’ve Got a Dog,” Alison Krauss on “End of a Summer Storm,” Ben Folds rocking “Broken Piano,” and Darius Rucker with “Beautiful Baby.”
The lonesome-cowboy title track is performed by the low-voiced moody rocker Mark Lanegan (yes, of Queens of the Stone Age.) Add Josh Turner, Fountains of Wayne, Ryan Adams, Linda Eder, and quickly rising Country star Kacey Musgraves — all accompanied by Nashville’s finest instrumentalists — and whoa. You’ve got yourself some mighty fine music, with a whole lot of gumption and heart.
Created for children ages 1 to “older than dirt,” this is Boynton’s fifth foray into merging music, words, and art. Like the others she’s created with keyboard player Michael Ford, it’s not hard to know why these ditties are a New York Times best-seller.
The message of the book is as charming and iconic as the lyrics and illustrations by Boynton herself.
It was a privilege to interview this iconic artist, who shares:
- How the book-CD combo come to be.
- Her writing process, and her longtime partnership with musician Michael Ford.
- How she developed her easily identifiable illustration style.
- How she rounded up such stellar singers as Ben Folds, Darius Rucker, Dwight Yoakam, Ryan Adams, and many more for the “Frog Trouble” CD.
Download the podcast now, by clicking on the link above.
- And for more insights, read our article and check out Boynton’s work in Fine Artists column of the October 2013 issue of Be Inkandescent magazine.
- Also be sure to visit her website: www.sandraboynton.com.