Authors Between the Covers
JANUARY 7, 2013
Our radio show spotlight today is on: David Bruce Smith and Faye Moskowitz, creators of the George Washington University class, Jewish Literature Live
Our hot topic: What inspired Smith and Moskowitz to create a program for undergrads that brings famous Jewish authors to George Washington University’s campus? And what makes them, as authors, tick?
Your host: Hope Katz Gibbs, publisher of Be Inkandescent magazine, and founder & president of The Inkandescent Group
On this episode of the Inkandescent Radio Show, we sat down with GW English professor and author Faye Moskowitz (pictured below), and DC author David Bruce Smith (pictured above) at Smith’s office in DC.
Since January 2009, Smith has funded a course in the English Department at GW—his alma mater—on contemporary Jewish American works of literature called Jewish Literature Live. This unique class allows students to study Jewish literature and interact with the prominent Jewish American authors who wrote the books.
Moskowitz teaches the course, and she is also our Truly Amazing Woman of the Month in the January 2013 issue of Be Inkandescent magazine.
In this podcast, we learn:
- Why Erica Jong mesmerized students with her presentation and her still popular book, “Fear of Flying.”
- The one thing that author Bel Kaufman told students that lingers in David Smith’s mind to this day.
- Why Faye Moskowitz is experiencing a renaissance of her work.
- And why she waited until she was 35 to get her college degree—and discover that she was a great writer.
- We also learn more about David Bruce Smith’s famous family—his grandfather, construction company mogul Charles E. Smith, who built Crystal City and much of DC; and his father Robert Smith, who established the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland.
• Download our podcast interview with David and Faye, right.
• Click here to read the transcript of our interview on Be Inkandescent magazine.
Are you ready to be inspired, educated, and entertained?
- Click here to listen to our interview, live on Jan. 7, with David Bruce Smith and GWU professor Faye Moskowitz, host of the undergrad class that David sponsors, Jewish Literature Live.
- Read the transcript of our interview, and learn more about the amazing work and life of Faye Moskowitz, our Truly Amazing Women of the Month, in the January 2013 issue of Be Inkandescent: The business magazine for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs.
- Be on the lookout: March is our Women in Power issue, so be sure to tune in for our upcoming interview with David Bruce Smith, and his illustrator mother and collaborator, Clarice Smith, in March 2013. Ditto for our interview with Moskowitz’s daughter, Shoshana Grove, Vice President of the powerful organization, Executive Women in Government.
- And be sure to tune in to The Inkandescent Radio Show, which airs every Monday at noon on www.ePodcastNetwork.com
About The Inkandescent Radio Show: What’s Your Story?
Hosted by journalist, publicist, author, and entrepreneur Hope Katz Gibbs, the show will spotlight the Entrepreneurs of the Month featured on her monthly business magazine, www.BeInkandescent.com, — as well as the Truly Amazing Women she has interviewed for her book project, www.TrulyAmazingWomen.com.
Gibbs will also be interviewing the bestselling authors, nationally renowned artists, and expert columnists featured in Be Inkandescent magazine, and on her popular networking website, www.InkandescentNetworking.com, which lists hundreds of the best networking events—and professionals—in seven East Coast cities. Plus, she’ll be talking to top restaurateurs, chefs, foodies, and hoteliers whom she spotlights in her “From Soup to Nuts” reviews.
Promoting, educating, and inspiring entrepreneurs is the mission of The Inkandescent Group, LLC — a PR, marketing, design, and publishing company that helps small businesses get the visibility they need to glow and grow.