2013 Conscious Capitalism Conference
Tara Sheahan is rocking the world one soul at a time. It won’t take long, she believes, before everyone is a little more conscious.
That’s the mission of her organization, Conscious Global Leadership, which is igniting global social harmony by strengthening the character and consciousness of leaders across all fields.
“We aim to share best ‘inner’ practices and how to mentor others for heart-centered living and leadership,” explains the CEO of the group that is considered a rock star in the new economy.
“Leaders have an extraordinary ripple affect,” insists Sheahan, whose husband is the equally conscious Casey Sheahan, a former CEO of Patagonia who is now with Backbone Media. “We have the power to inspire greatness at home and in our workplace, by first inspiring it within ourselves. This can only occur through inner awareness of thoughts and beliefs that drive us every day. They can be fear-based or love-based.”
“Right now, for example — what thoughts are driving you?” she asks. Great question!
In this podcast interview with Tara Sheahan, you’ll learn how you can:
- Tap into your innate emotional intelligence, and understand the nature of the mind and its patterns and conditioning, to release old beliefs that no longer serve you.
- Become conscious by better understanding yourself through self-acceptance and compassion.
- Discover that work is play, with success and prosperity as a natural byproduct.
- Be more inspired every day as you start to choose the activities, people, and situations that lift you up.
- Plus, Casey Sheahan chimes in on how Tara Sheahan made an impact on the employees and bottom line of Patagonia by sharing one simple with idea with him.
- And, the couple discusses how their belief in being conscious — and living in a place of love versus a place of fear — has made their relationship stronger.
Don’t miss a moment!
- Download our podcast interview, at right.
- Click here to learn more about Tara Sheahan’s organization, Conscious Global Leadership.
- Stay tuned for our Q&A on Truly Amazing Women Who Are Changing the World.
More about Tara Sheahan
From her website, consciousgloballeadership.com
I have a ridiculously passionate desire to live a happy life. And as a former athlete who trained for hours and hours to attempt to make the Winter Olympics in cross-country skiing, and a sports marketing and television executive who climbed the corporate ladder, I can tell you that finding happiness is no different than achieving mega-success. It takes commitment, and practice.
I didn’t decide to merrily walk down this path to find happiness. I was pushed down it, when I contracted Lyme disease in my mid-30s. In less than a year, I not only lost the ability to excel in sports, but to walk, think, or function without pain. All the characteristics that defined ‘me’ — ‘super Mom/wife,’ uber-athlete, and ‘iron chef,’ disappeared. It was both terrifying and freeing. And when I began to heal with the help of both Eastern wisdom and Western medicine, I realized that this ‘self-image’ that I tried to hold onto through my illness was what caused me the most pain. Letting go of it was the path to my happiness.
Why do we construct a self-image? And why is being insignificant so terrifying? Can we truly care for others when we spend so little time caring for ourselves? Is getting sick how we get well? These were questions I sought to answer. So I spent the next 15 years learning about the body-mind connection, using meditation and mindfulness practices to understand how thoughts, and beliefs, influence our physical and emotional health.
Thanks to the magnificent teachers I’ve learned from over the past years, I’ve been ‘gifted’ the opportunity to introduce and teach mindfulness and conscious leadership at eBay, The Aspen Institute, The Watson Caring Science Institute, and World Caring Conference, the Conscious Capitalism Summit, New York City’s ‘Peaceweek,’ and with private clients who share my passion to transform the world from the inside out.
Lift your spirits: Try this at home
Here’s a simple practice I do — at home, on airplanes, in the car, any time — that instantly settles me into a ridiculously calm and and happy place!
- With right hand, fold down index finger and middle finger to the palm of the hand, next to thumb. Place thumb lightly on right nostril, ring finger lightly on left nostril.
- Gently press and close right nostril with thumb and inhale through the left nostril for a count of ”1, 2, 3.”
- Now block left nostril with ring finger, release thumb on right nostril, and exhale for 6 counts … ”1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
- Inhale through right nostril 3 counts. Block with thumb, and exhale through left nostril. Inhale through left nostril, exhale through right, inhale through right, then back to left.
- Do this 12 times, and remember: A circuit begins with inhale on right, and ends with exhale on right.
A few secrets
- Smile to increase the feeling of well-being
- Gently “puff” the belly on the inhale, draw your navel toward the spine on exhale, and feel the nervous system being stimulated.
- For a deeper experience, increase the count. Inhale for 10, exhale for 20.
Relax, enjoy, have fun!